This is Me
Most people think of their life, their family, and their passions as a labor of love… while I certainly could say it’s the same for me (and mean it), I am constantly amazed and awed by all the wonder in my life. Therefore, this journey, is a labor of wonder.
I am a mother of 3, a wife, a daughter, a sister, an aunt, and friend. I am a believer! I believe in God and His wonderful love! I believe in helping others in their journeys. I believe that love is powerful. I also believe that love is a choice. I believe in intentional living, intentional eating, and intentional parenting. I believe that friendships are just as important, if not even more important, when you’re married. I believe that I am a little bit crazy and that a lot of the blame falls to my husband and children! (haha!)
- Give me a plot of land and I will grow beautiful things- food, flowers, plants… but give me a pot of anything inside and the poor little creature is doomed! I don’t understand this, but I have accepted it.
- I am so desperate for coffee in the morning that my first cup is instant, or day old… please don’t judge me (I judge myself enough for this)
- I am a strange contradiction. There is this part of me that would totally love living off the grid, making and growing everything we’d need… and there’s this other part of me that *loves* beautiful shoes and hates to miss an episode of Grey’s Anatomy or Glee
- I come up with lots of really great, really crafty ideas… and then my husband takes over and turns them into reality
- I believe in extended breastfeeding/child-led weaning. I also believe (and practice) attachment parenting
- I remind myself that my children may remember today for the rest of their lives, I should treat each of these days with that much intention, that it be a day worth remembering for the rest of their lives.
- I am a fairly shy and private person… despite my blabbing on here. In person, I take a while to warm up.
- My favorite form of exercise is chasing my children…and yoga. And dancing. Mainly while doing some (any) form of cleaning, with my daughter.
- I LOOOOOOOOOVE organization. (true story: my husband took me to The Container Store for Valentine’s Day and I proclaimed it the best Valentine’s Day ever.) Seriously. While the 3 little children that belong to me tend to keep things fairly disorganized, I still have the urge (and would like) to organize everything to the Nth degree. Thankfully, I value my time with my kids more than time spent organizing.
- I do not like chocolate. I have only recently discovered an enjoyment for a small amount of white chocolate.
- I LOVE to cook, but I only sort of like to bake.
- I like a good glass of wine. (My father-in-law makes some really great rhubarb wine!)
- Seriously, if someone would do all the cleanup, I’d cook all day.
- I use cloth diapers (and love it).
- My children are HILARIOUS! (they must get that from me!) Of course it’s usually unintentional (ok, so maybe that’s what they get from me)
- At least once a day you’ll find me in front of the stove/oven, with a nursing baby strapped to me. Multitasking at it’s finest.
- I have an aversion to the feel of cotton- especially cotton balls.
- I also do not like feet. Don’t touch my feet, don’t touch me with yours. Thank you.
- We hardly use our microwave and avoid plastic as much as possible.
- I refer to my girlfriends as my “Happy Hour Mistresses”- but they don’t know that. Well, they didn’t know that… I think they’ll be ok with it.
- I could skip out on the traditional church setting for the rest of my life and not be sad about it. (traditional church being the place various forms of hypocrites just sit on the benches instead of practicing their beliefs and going out and spreading them)
- That said, we are raising our children in the church and believe very much in community
- I am not that big on affection, except with my husband and children… and they all probably consider me overly affectionate.
- When I go back to work, a dream job would be doing something that promotes the welfare of babies and attachment. I may have to make up a job that fits the description I want. Something promoting healthy attachment between children (babies especially!) and parents/families.
- I cannot stand conflict. I am extremely passive
- A loud, defensive, mama bear who is not afraid to speak her mind, comes out when someone says something about my family. Especially my children.
- I love music… almost all forms. Music moves my heart in ways plain words never could. Or seldom do.
- I have a hard time accepting that not everyone will like me. I know it’s an unrealistic expectation, but I can’t help it… I want people to like me.
- I like to wash the dishes. I do not like to put them away. Same goes for laundry.
- I have an ever-growing list of things I’m passionate about. Seriously. And I feel those convictions deeply.
- I have given birth, naturally (you know, really naturally… without any meds naturally)…3 times. And they are each one my proudest moments.
- I am the daughter of a OB RN who is also a: childbirth educator, Doula, IBCLC Lactation Consultant, infant massage instructor, and probably some other things I’ve missed!
- I would’ve had a million children if that was an option. In the future we may consider adoption or being a therapeutic foster home. Hubby and I have talked about that since before we became parents.
- My children and my husband drive me absolutely crazy… and I love each of them more than life itself.